Want to Rent Furniture Online? Here Are Our Top Picks
Written by Hannah Hildebolt
We’ve talked before about the perks of renting furniture and why it’s a good option for those who need to furnish a place on a budget. Here, we’re going to take you through a few of the country’s top furniture rental companies. There are tons of options out there, and it can be hard to understand how they’re different from one another. Let’s break it down.
If you’re the kind of person who likes an established reputation, this is the one for you. CORT’s been in business for over 50 years, and nowadays, it operates in over 80 countries. It’s among the most affordable options on our list and it has one of the biggest inventories. If you’d like to see some of CORT’s inventory in person, you can check out their many showrooms and outlets across the country.
- Where is it available? In 48 states, excluding Hawaii and Alaska––it’s the only company on our list with such wide reach. CORT serves over 80 countries worldwide, as well.
- What kind of inventory does it have? CORT’s large inventory has a large selection of furniture for every room of the house––bedrooms (except for kids), kitchen, bathroom, living room, etc. There are also discounted, customizable furniture packages for specific rooms of the house, if you’d rather not have to design entire rooms by yourself.
- How long can you rent furniture and what’s the minimum price? You can rent furniture for a minimum of a month, and for a maximum of a year. You’ll also have to hit a minimum value that varies depending on where you live and how long you’re renting your furniture (CORT says that it will be clear if you’ve hit this value in your online cart). You might have to undergo a credit check to rent from them.
- How long does delivery take? CORT promises to have your furniture delivered and assembled within 48 hours, and they’ll even help you style it.
- Returns, damage fees, and buying your furniture: If you don’t like any of your furniture and you tell CORT within a week, they’ll exchange it for free. After that period, you’ll have to pay a return fee. CORT doesn’t charge for “wear-and-tear,” but it will charge for “abuse,” which the site describes as cigarette/cigar burns and pet damage. If you’d like to buy your furniture at the end of your rental period, you may, at a discount; however, your monthly rental payments won’t count towards the price of your furniture.
Brook is another long-running, affordable option. It’s been in business for over 40 years and it’s generally even more affordable than CORT, with a comparable inventory.
- Where is it available? In the major metropolitan areas of 18 states across the country. You can find a full list here.
- What kind of inventory does it have? Brook can furnish your whole home, with the usual exception of kids’ bedrooms.
- How long can you rent furniture and what’s the minimum price? You can choose from one, two, three, six, and twelve-month rental periods. You can also opt to extend your lease once your original one expires. Brook has the same $150 minimum that CORT does, so you’ll have to hit that per-month number in order to check out. Brook also might require a credit check.
- How long does delivery take? Two days from the day that you placed your order for delivery and assembly. You’ll schedule in advance with Brook.
- Returns, refunds, and buying your furniture: Like CORT, you have seven days to decide if you want to return any of your furniture. If you do, you’ll be able to exchange what you didn’t like for free. If you decide to exchange after seven days, you’ll have to pay a fee. You’ll be able to buy your furniture at the end of your lease, but your monthly payments won’t count towards that, although you’ll still be buying at a discounted rate. If you damage your furniture beyond the usual wear and tear, you’ll be charged a varying fee depending on the type and extent of the damage.
Aaron’s has also been in business for decades, since 1955. It’s famous for its rent-to-own plans and the breadth of its inventory, which covers things such as electronics and appliances. Aaron’s has physical locations across the country that you can visit if you’d like a hands-on feel for their products.
- Where is it available? 47 states––pretty much across the country.
- What kind of inventory does it have? Aaron’s has a wide range of furniture for every room of the house, including the elusive kids’ bedroom. You’ll also be able to rent electronics and other appliances.
- How long can you rent furniture and what’s the minimum price? Aaron’s has a minimum lease requirement of 12 months and a maximum of 24. The minimum price per month is $90––less than CORT or Brook. Like both, Aaron’s may also require a credit check.
- How long does delivery take? Aaron’s delivery times vary depending on the furniture you order and where you live. This information is available during the checkout process and your order confirmation page, once you place your order. Aaron’s also has a selection of “express” items that can be delivered in 2-3 days if you’re in a time crunch.
- Returns, refunds, and buying your furniture: After your furniture has been delivered, you can schedule a return, but you won’t receive a refund. However, you can pick a different item of comparable value to use with your furniture lease instead. Whether or not you can buy your furniture from Aaron’s depends on which contract you’ve chosen with them, so if you’re interested in buying, make sure you pick one with an option to buy. If you choose a rent-to-own contract, your monthly payments will count towards the purchase of your furniture at the end of your lease.
CasaOne is an all-online furniture company that was founded in 2017. It has the biggest inventory of any of our options and ships to the entire contiguous US. It’s not as affordable as some of our other options, but its focus on curation as well as breadth earned it a spot on our list.
- Where is it available? CasaOne ships to the entire continental U.S.
- What kind of inventory does it have? With an inventory of over 4,000 pieces, CasaOne has the largest inventory in our list. It can furnish your bedroom, kitchen, dining room, office, outdoor space, and gym.
- How long can you rent furniture and what’s the minimum price? The minimum rental period is one month, and the maximum is three months. The minimum price per month varies depending on the lease period: for one month or two months, it’s $750, but for three months, it’s $500. If you don’t meet the minimum per month, you can pay a monthly “cart fulfillment fee,” which is just the remaining difference between the value of your furniture and the minimum price. You’ll be able to extend your lease on a month-by-month basis, as long as you let CasaOne know via email 15 days before the end of your contract. They may also require a credit check.
- How long does delivery take? Delivery times vary depending on the furniture in question and the shipping method, but it can take up to five weeks. A full outline is here. Note that CasaOne doesn’t offer assembly, but the furniture does come with assembly instructions.
- Returns, refunds, and buying your furniture: If you want to return an item, you’ll have to pay return shipping costs, and the item must be in its original packaging with all instructions and accessories. A refund will be issued after the item is checked for quality. There’s no mention of any kind of exchange policy. You’ll be able to buy the things you rent from CasaOne by requesting a purchase price from them, and they say they will take your monthly payments into account. You don’t have to wait till you’re finished renting, either; you can purchase your furniture outright at any point you’d like.
- Connecticut, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, San Francisco, San Diego, and Washington, D.C.
- Delivery and assembly within 3 business days
- One week to 12 month lease period
- Can purchase furniture, retail price minus monthly fees
- No trial period, although you can cancel within a day of placing an order, and they will come get what you don’t like, with a fee of $200 or
The furniture startup Feather only serves a few different areas, but its membership program is unique. If you opt to become a member and pay the $ monthly fee, you’ll unlock steep discounts on Feather’s furniture as well as a number of other benefits. You don’t have to become a member to rent Feather’s furniture, however; you can opt for one of their shorter-term plans instead if that makes more sense for you.
- Where is it available? NYC (except Staten Island), Jersey City, San Francisco, Oakland, LA, and Orange County
- What kind of inventory does it have? Like most of our other options, Feather can furnish your entire home except for any kids’ bedrooms. There are over 200 pieces available, and though that’s less than many of the other options on our list, Feather’s pieces are carefully curated.
- How long can you rent furniture and what’s the minimum price? Feather offers a number of different membership plans, ranging from one month to twelve. Your minimum depends on the plan you choose. If you’re a Feather member with an annual plan, your monthly minimum is $99, and you’ll pay the monthly $19 membership fee. If you opt for a Short-Term Plan as a non-member, your minimum is $349. If you opt for a Monthly plan as a non-member, your monthly minimum is $999.
- How long does delivery take? Typically, 7 days from the date you place your order. Feather offers delivery dates as you’re checking out.
- Returns, refunds, and buying your furniture: Feather members get one free exchange a year. Beyond that, they have to pay a $99 fee per exchange, and so do all non-members. You are free to buy your furniture at the end of your contract, and your monthly payments count towards your purchase. (However, if you exchange an item, payments you make on the old item will not roll over to the new one.) What you’ve paid per month is subtracted from the retail value of the item, and you’ll pay the remaining sum to own your furniture.
We hope that this list of options helps you to understand the landscape of furniture rental companies more fully. Renting furniture can help decorating an apartment so much more affordable, and it’s a worthy option for many different kinds of renters. Happy renting!